Thomas Markle has vowed to see his daughter Meghan in court in her legal case against the Mail on Sunday – as he claimed she and Prince Harry had “hurt” the Queen by their decision to step back from royal duties.
The Duchess of Sussex’s father is the main witness for Associated Newspapers, the owner of the Mail on Sunday and MailOnline, in its response to her legal action over an article which featured parts of a handwritten letter to her father.
Meghan’s lawyers are seeking damages from the publisher for alleged misuse of private information, copyright infringement and breach of the Data Protection Act.
In an interview with the Sun newspaper, Mr Markle claimed “everything will come out” should he face Meghan in court.
“I’ll see Meghan in court,” he said.
“I wish it hadn’t come to this, but I will certainly testify against the things that have been said about me.
“When me and Meghan end up in a courtroom together, it will be quite stunning for everybody.”
In a separate interview with ITV’s Good Morning Britain, Mr Markle said his daughter had “hurt” the Queen by the Sussexes’ decision to step back from royal duties.
“What they’ve decided to do is, to me, embarrassing,” he said.
“I think they hurt the Queen. I think they’ve hurt the royals. And it just doesn’t work to be going to another country and then serving England. It’s never going to work.
“I’m a little embarrassed for them and feeling very sorry for the Queen.”
Mr Markle said he was “really disappointed” he is yet to meet his grandson Archie, adding: “And I really miss my daughter.”
And in a message to Harry, Mr Markle said: “Man up and fly down to see me. And we’ll talk.”
Asked what he would say to Meghan, he said: “I’d say I love you and let’s sit down and work this out. She was the closest thing to me for years and years and years, until she went off to college and even then.
“This is ridiculous. We should get together.”
Asked about the possibility of meeting Meghan and Harry at court, Mr Markle said: “If it comes to meeting them in a courtroom, that’s great. At least I’d finally get to see them.”
But he added that he did not want a “battle”.
Mr Markle also dismissed claims that some of the media coverage of Meghan had been racist, saying: “I don’t think that she is being bullied in any way or any shape because of racism.”
Legal documents submitted to the High Court shed light on the relationship between Meghan and her 75-year-old father, with Mr Markle claiming he contributed tens of thousands to her education.
He claimed the duchess sent him only occasional “modest” financial gifts after landing a role in the hit TV series Suits, even though he was still paying off her college debts.
An extract from a responding letter from Meghan, published by the Mail on Sunday and on MailOnline in February last year, read: “Your actions have broken my heart into a million pieces – not simply because you have manufactured such unnecessary and unwarranted pain, but by making the choice to not tell the truth as you are puppeteered in this. Something I will never understand.”
Meghan’s lawyers claim that, had the letter been published in full, it would have “undermined the defendant’s intended negative characterisation” of her.
They also say the “true sentiment” of the letter was Meghan’s concern about her father’s welfare and his exploitation by tabloid newspapers which he should stop talking to.
The publisher’s lawyers have accused the duchess of being more worried about the “unflattering” effect of the publication of letter extracts written to her estranged father than any breach of her data protection rights.
The relationship between Meghan and her father broke down completely in the week of her wedding in May 2018, a few months before the letter – thought to be the last communication between the pair – was sent.
Harry and Meghan are dropping their HRH styles and stepping down from royal duties in search of freedom away from the monarchy, and will raise their son Archie mostly in Canada.